Zahir's Convoluted Little World

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Guantanamo School of Law

Last semester, I knew law school was going to be tough. I knew it would require a lot of hard work and sacrifice. Last year, whenever I would speak to law students who would complain about how horrible law school life could be, I always took it with a grain of salt. But it's only this semester I'm realizing that those people weren't kidding. Law school life really does suck. The one think I keep telling people is that it's probably more fun to be a prisoner at Guantanamo Bay than it is to be a law student. If the US wanted to torture prisoners, they should have sent them to law school instead of sending them to Gitmo. Life in Atlanta is decent, but life within the law school sucks. I don't like classes this term. They're not all that interesting. Although Criminal law is kind of cool. The rest all suck.

But there have been some good things that have gone on within the past month or so. I bought a new apartment in the highrise across from where I live now. Got it for a really decent price. Over the past several years, I always saw my parents handling the real estate transactions we went through. This time, it was me who handled everything from the start. I found the place, I set up the viewing, I haggled over the price, I hired the lawyer, I negotiated the terms of the contract. Now I have to do all the other crap associated with getting a mortgage. That won't be fun.

So yesterday, Saba and I went to Oxford to see a play. It was a rendition of Dead Man Walking. The student actors did a supberb job. I never saw the movie with Sean Penn, but maybe I'll pick it up one of these days. This week is somewhat of a lightened week. Constitutional law is cancelled for two of the three days, and civil procedure is cancelled for one day. Then the following week is spring break. I'm going home for break. Quite honestly, can't wait to get the hell out of here. Home will be a nice break, sitting there studying in the dining room, going out to see friends here and there. Some Al Ummah folks will be in town, so that will be good. Not entirely sure my sister will be able to make it for the weekend or whatever.

So in the end, law school sucks, but life has to find a way to move on. I'm still trying to find something legally related to do over the summer. No luck as of yet. But hopefully something will come along soon. Ugh, nothing worse than being in law school and job hunting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home