Zahir's Convoluted Little World

Thursday, December 16, 2004

The Gauntlet

From Dictionary.com:

gaunt·let2 also gant·let ( P ) (gôntlt, gänt-)n.
1. A form of punishment or torture in which people armed with sticks or other weapons arrange themselves in two lines facing each other and beat the person forced to run between them.
2. The lines of people so arranged.
An onslaught or attack from all sides: “The hostages... ran the gauntlet of insult on their way to the airport” (Harper's).
3. A severe trial; an ordeal.

I have just finished running the gauntlet that is known as the first semester of law school. These past two weeks have been severely difficult, with a serious lack of sleep, over caffeination, intense studying, emotional mayhem, but in the end, peace. It feels really good to have the first semester over with. Ironically, I'm feeling pretty accomplished at this point. I essentially stepped up to the challenge, and I know I didn't fail.

The first semester really did feel like a gauntlet. Each class was taught by a professor beating us with an intellectual stick. Each lined up to take a whack at me and every other first year student. The mental scars are definitely there, but they definitely make you tougher. I'm still standing and willing to ask for more.

So yesterday, after the exams were over, the law school had a big party at 1150. It's supposed to be one of Atl's better clubs. It was nice. The place is an old playhouse or theater that's been converted. Most of the 1L class was there. The nice thing is that everyone was calm. Nobody wanted to talk about school or the meatgrinding experience. It was just plain fun.

Tomorrow I'm leaving for home. I figure the drive alone will be a killer, so I'm stopping in DC for a day to visit my cousin. Funny, during the long drives, I find it really theraputic to think about life while passing scenic patches of greenery and city skylines. Puts things in perspective, makes you think about other stuff. The alone time is good. When you're left alone with nothing but your thoughts, the only person there to get to know is yourself.

Hopefully my time on break in NY won't be as difficult as it was in the undergrad years. Those were always difficult, coming home and not being used to living with parents anymore. Always grumbling about how much you like your school living situation better. I don't know this time. I know there will be remnants of those thoughts, but at least I have my Brooklyn Apt. for when I want to go out in the city. Speaking of, I can't wait to see my friends at home. It's been too long. A few weeks back, I sent a sappy mass email to most of them telling them how much I miss them and all. Even though I met a great bunch of people here, the feelings around here aren't as comforting as they are with the people at home.

What I'm looking forward to most is 'back to basics.' Back in the highschool, my jamatkhana friends and I (the guys) used to have sleepovers, where we'd stay up all night, talk, play video games, watch stupid movies, all that sort of stuff. We havn't done one of those in god knows how many years. We decided that since most of us are home, why not have another one? It's been nearly 10 years, but who cares. It'll be awsome nonetheless. Why not enjoy the opportunity to recapture good memories of childhood while we still can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home