Zahir's Convoluted Little World

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress

IIED. My Lwrap (Legal Writing, Research, and Advocacy Program) assignment is on intentional infliction of emotional distress. It's a hell of a lot of work. I mentioned it earlier and wrote about a few interesting cases I came across in my research. Then it hit me, law school by definition is the intentional infliction of emotional distress. It reminded me of something one of the associates told me when I was a paralegal: "Law school really has nothing to do with the practice of law. It's about feeling pain, and learning to deal with it." I had no clue how right she was.

Although the case is interesting, it's a huge pain. I've been working for several hours every day on this thing, and I'm being hit with writer's block. It sucks. I also hate it when I see other people in my section who are far ahead of the game and already have their draft's out. Makes me wish I had a better work ethic.

So around here, things have been decent. Luckily Atlanta isn't all that cold just yet. Although last week it started getting chilly, so I went over to Syms and bought a jacket. Funny, now I buy a size small. Who would have ever though I'd see that day again? I also remember those painful days when I was younger and my dad used to drag all of us to Syms. That was horrible. It wasn't until after I went off to college, and realized I could actually get decent clothes from Syms, that the nightmarish quality of the store subsided.

I was doing my civil procedure reading earlier today, and got a good laugh. The case involved was Noble v. Bradford Marine, Inc. 789 F. Supp. 395 (D.D. Fla. 1992). The case is about removal of a case to federal court, but apparantly, the Judge who wrote the opinion, District Judge James C. Paine, just saw "Waynes World." Each heading in the case has something to do with that movie. "Hurling Chunks," "Like a Winged Monkey Flying Out of the Ashes..." "Not!" "A Schwing and a Miss." He even goes so far as to say, "[Defendant's] most bogus attempt at removal is 'not worthy' and the Defendant's must 'party on' in state court." (emphasis mine). I'm not kidding. This is an official federal court opinion that is published in the Federal Supplement. If you have access to LexisNexis or Westlaw, look it up. My belief is that this Judge who wrote the opinion is either an aging hipster, or rather took his kids to see the movie and enjoyed it more than they did. But I have to say, it did provide for better reading than most other cases I've had to read.

Last week I was talking to Saba, and we were thinking of going to a Civil War reenactment sometime over the next few weeks. That would rock. The thing I don't understand about these popular local celebrations of history is that the folks doing the reenactments are the ones who lost the war! Do they have reenactments in Germany and Japan of World War II battles knowing that they lost those wars? I doubt it... they're probably still trying to get over it. But this is the American south. I think someone should tell the folks around here that they lost the civil war. Al Franken spoke of it best in his book Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell Them, when he refers to the American Civil War as the greatest act of treason in American history. He's right. But for some reason, the people around here just don't get it. But I'd still love to see one of those things for a laugh.

Back to work for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home