Zahir's Convoluted Little World

Thursday, November 11, 2004

Unusual Activities

It was rainy and in the 40's today. I hate the cold weather. One of the reasons I really looked forward to coming to the south is that it doesn't get cold over here until November or so. Well, it's November, and it's cold. One of the funny things about a cold Atlanta is seeing Jen suffer in this chill. She was saying earlier how this is the coldest weather she's ever experienced. I'm remembering the brutal northeast winter of last year. It's funny, Miami doesn't seem to far from here, but apparantly over there it never gets this cold.

At the library, I've noticed a sign that's been put up on the men's room door that says, "You can report unusual activities to the front desk." For the past few weeks, sometimes when I walk in there, there's some Asian dude brushing his teeth. That's definitely an unusual activity, but I don't think it's so controversial as to be worth reporting to the front desk. Who brushes their teeth at the library? I know there must be some rational explanation, but on the facts available, it so strange. (wow, I'm sounding like a lawyer).

Not to mention Yasser Arafat died this morning. Interesting, Arafat dies on Veterans day. I guess that's somewhat symbolic. The guy was an enigma to say the least. Freedom fighter / Terrorist depending on who you ask, statesman, politician, Icon. November 11th wasn't always known as Veterans day. The armistice effectively ending combat during World War I was signed on November 11, 1918. The most brutal and bloody war that Europe had ever seen ended on that day. I remember the way Professor Rose described WWI. He said Europe was like a finely carved and laquered table, a very fine piece of furniture. World War I was like someone taking a knife and scratching a huge scar across the surface. No matter how much you tried to paint it over or laquer it again, you could never fully repair it. I think the peace process is the same way. The land considered Holy to all three of the Abrahamic faiths, each having spent its golden era in possession of this land, has been scarred badly from all the violence that has happened there. Now with Arafat's passing, who's to see what can happen.

Just like the armistice and treaties that ended World War I, people and governments continually talked about the upcoming peace. The world could have gone on the intended path to outlaw war and cultivate worldwide peace, or the political opportunists could have set stage for World War II, the most brutal war the world has ever seen. We know which one they chose. After Arafat's passing, Bush and Blair and a whole slew of others are talking about "peace" in the Middle East. Talk about unusual activities. These are the two goons who pushed for the Iraq war. I have a feeling that it'll be a cold day in hell before Bush will ever achieve peace anywhere, let alone in Israel and Palestine. I'm also a little apprehensive to think about what will happen next. I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned the parallel.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home