Zahir's Convoluted Little World

Monday, November 22, 2004

Trip to Jo-ja...

Even though I didn't have a second to spare this weekend, I decided to take a day trip on Saturday to the country. Saba's roomate, Jana, is this girl from a small town about 2 hours outside of Atlanta. She and her boyfriend Dave are from this small rural area and invited us out for a Civil War Reenactment and country fair. When we got there, we went to the fair and all where they were processing sugar cane. There were two sugar shacks, processing cane and making syrup. That sugar cane juice is awsome stuff. Could drink it by the gallon.

Unfortunatly, the Civil War Reenactment was cancelled. The reason? They couldn't get the two sides to agree on how it would play out. Ironic isn't it? A little too close to reality!

I have to say, the trip wiped out a few stereotypes I had about the south, but also solidified a few others (but in a good way). Most importantly, it gave me a good appreciation about how the people in the south live their lives. Growing up in the north, we always have the stereotype that the southerners are all racist bible thumping gun toting farmers who hate everyone who's not like them. I was very pleasantly surprised to see how unbelieveably nice everyone was. That small town feeling was definitly comforting. Everyone knew each other, everyone was warm to one another. It felt very familial. It wasn't exactly the most diverse place, but it wasn't unwelcoming either. Jana made a good point, every culture has its extremes. That includes the southerners. They do have their share of racists and extremists. But so do the northerners. In every culture you'll find good and bad people. Luckily, I was introduced to the good ones.



Quite the rebels. Posted by Hello



One really pleasant thing is that these people are very religious. The overwhelming majority are Evangelical. Normally when I think of Evangelicals, I think of people like Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell spreading a message of self righteousness and hate. But the feeling I got from these people was quite the opposite. They were very nice, tolerant, smart and accepting people. They gave me a decent peace of mind, because the religious fervor of the US in recent decades has been worrisome. But more than anything, it's the politicians who are trumping religion for their own gain. The actual people are peaceful and decent. I have confidence that the rank and file will reign in the extremities when it comes to the point of unacceptability. After all, this is America.



True southern Pride. No Yankees allowed here. Posted by Hello


Something that was solidified was the gun culture. Everyone here owns guns. When Dave and Jana found out that Saba and I never shot guns before, they got that mischevious look in their eyes and sought to remedy this problem. So they took us out to some deserted dirt road where we shot targets (coke cans and water bottles). I have to say, it's a thrill shooting. I wouldn't exactly want to shoot at anything living, but shooting at targets is pretty exhilerating. I felt like the coolest person ever when I blasted a coke can from about 40 feet (I'm still a beginner). Kept the bullet ridden can as a souvenir.



Baaaad to the bone. Posted by Hello


Earlier in the day, we went over to Hamburg State Park. It's absolutly gorgeous. This time of year the leaves are changing, so it's especially nice out there. We went canoeing on the small lake, soaked up the sun and crisp air. It was extremely peaceful and relaxing. A big difference from the torture of law school.



At Hamburg State Park Posted by Hello



Then at night, back at David's place, his pyro brother Jamie set up a bonfire where we made smores and roasted chicken hot dogs (show's how wonderfully considerate these people are, they went out of their way to get us non-pork hot dogs). After that, in the dark, we played hide-and-seek on their big yard. It was a modified version, a cross between tag and hide-and-seek, all in the dark with flashlights. It was the most fun I've had in a long while to say the least.

So tomorrow's the day I turn the big 24. Since I've always been bad at math, it's very convenient that I was born in a year that's a multiple of 10. Otherwise I'd always forget how old I was at whatever point in time. It's also the day I get to go home. Now that's a birthday gift that's worthwile.



1 Comments:

  • It's not totally accurate to say you have not shot a gun before. You have played paintball. You shot me square in the butt from point blank range. Glad you had a good weekend though, and that the camera came in handy!

    By Blogger Sophia, at 11/22/2004 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home