Zahir's Convoluted Little World

Saturday, August 28, 2004

I'm Definitely in the Bible Belt

One of the things I've noticed about Atlanta, especially Decatur and the Emory area, is that almost every corner has a church. Some of them are beautifully constructed. There's aPresbyterian Church on the corner of N. Druid Hills Rd. and Clairmont road that actually looks very pleasant. It's just funny how many there are... In NY, we have tons of people, and only a few houses of worship that are noteworthy. Manhattan has St. John the Divine, St. Patricks, St. Barts, a few others of note. But we also have how many million people? Not the case here in GA.

But in keeping with the spirit of beautifully constructed houses of worship, we Ismailis are not to be outdone. Our Jamatkhana is only about 5 minutes from where I live, which is extremely convenient. It's also beautifully constructed, mainly red sandstone from the outside, very modern and beautifully decorated with wooden geometric patterns inside. It's nice going to services here. With so many people in attendance, it feels much more powerful. Not something I'm used to having grown up going to the small Long Island Jamatkhana. Khane yesterday was great... got to see AK, my old roomate from Al Ummah, plus a ton of other participants. Only problem is that I don't have all of their names straight.

So yesterday, I went to dinner with Abdul Uncle and his family. It's nice having a surrogate family here in Atlanta. Their youngest daughter is leaving for her freshman year of college this week, so empty nest syndrome is bound to set in. Luckily I'm here to help them alleviate that while they help me alleviate homesickness every once in a while.

So today, I got up at noon, did some shopping (just in time before the rebates expire on the printers), and then came to the library. Wasn't as productive as I should've been, but I did get some reading done. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be better. Tonight I'm planning on seeing Garden State with Naeha and Smitha. I've heard good things about this movie, hopefully it lives up to the minor hype. As usual, I'm finding myself to be the token guy in a group of girls. When will this madness ever end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home