Zahir's Convoluted Little World

Monday, August 23, 2004

Hot-lanta

It's been a while, but for the past week or so, I've been readjusting to life down here in the south. I have to say it's been a very very positive experience so far. Today was the first day of classes, and it went pretty well. I have tons of reading left to do for tomorrow, but nonetheless, I'm still happy about being back in the halls of academe.

So I'm living in Decatur, at Emory's Clairmont Campus. To put it briefly, this place is absolutly beautiful. They have nice tennis courts, a beach volleyball court, an olympic size swimming pool, outdoor and indoor basketball courts, a nice gym, a big open field, and lots of room. It literally feels like a country club. I've hit up the gym a bunch of times, but have yet to go to the pool. After getting here last Sunday, I spent the first few days doing mundane things. Didn't have anyone around, so I got administrative stuff done. On Tuesday, my roomate moved in and it became more fun. We went out a bunch of times, met some folks, and generally had a good time.

The people in Atlanta are interesting. It's definitely not New York. Although, a huge chunk of the law school population is from New York, the mentality is different. People here actually make eye contact with you and smile, most even say 'Hi.' It's a big change from the NY mentality of completely ignoring everyone around you. It seems a little more civil. I can definitely grow to like this place.

So the first night of orientation, they had a big gathering at this placed in downtown called Cosmopolitan. Before heading over there, we prepartied with some people we met earlier. We went over to Shannon's place at Post Briarcliff and met a bunch more law students. Most happened to be black. I don't have too many black friends, but I have to say, black people are mad fun to party with. This was a pretty educated and smart crew, some went to Moorehouse here in Atlanta, another girl went to Howard. Some were from smaller schools in other places, but they were a great bunch. At the club, the girls had no qualms about going out there and shakin their bootie! Unfortunatly, that crew didn't come out to the other orientation parties, but hopefully Malav and I can get the chance to hang around with them again.

The next night, I was too tired to do anything, so I passed up. Malav went out, came back and told me the next morning that it was a waste of time and pretty much a sausage fest. I guess most people were hung over from the night before. So I didn't miss much. But the next night (that was last Friday), the gathering was at a place in downtown called The Mark. Everyone was talking about The Mark. It was awsome. Met a great crew of people that night. I met Naeha, who I got along with really well. Hung around a little more with Smitha and a couple of other Indian people. Odd thing is that I don't really have many Indian friends, never really wanted any while at NYU having to deal with that clique and all. This was nice, a bunch of people who I made friends with based on personality, but who just happened to be Indian. The next day, we all got together and got some Chatt at an Indian restaurant near campus. Who would have thought? Next night was at Neighbor's Pub in Virginia Highlands. Good place, outdoor cafe, more law students.

Funny thing is that after all these events, after meeting all these people in noisy clubs, nobody remembers anyone's names. At the Mark, I met a girl named Gretchen who lives a floor above me. It turns out that she and I have Legal Methods together, and after class, we took the shuttle back to Clairmont together. Right as we were about to enter the building, after a good 20 minute conversation, she sheepishly asked my name again! I thought it was hilarious... I guess the first two weeks, everyone has a grace period where it's totally acceptable to forget names.

Later Saturday, Malav and I went to meet up with Justin, an old friend from Highschool who neither of us had seen in years. It was great. Went to visit him, and he's still the same great guy and goofball he's always been. We hung around midtown, walked a little, reminisced about highschool, made fun of the people who we hated back then and who we know are complete failures today. I've known Justin since kindergarten, so I'm glad he and I still have the opportunity to be friends 20 years later.

One of the big personal accomplishments I've noticed so far here is that I'm actually opening up to people and making new friends. Al-Ummah was such a shock because it made me realize how defensive I normally am, always having my guard up. Now, thanks largely in part to AU, I was ready to open up and just get to know people right away. The result, I actually have new friends off the bat. I feel comfortable here, no need to impress people. No more feeling like an outsider, no more feeling left out. It's relaxing, and a hell of a lot more fun. Last night, Naeha called me to continue procrastinating her reading assignments. After chatting for like an hour, we hung up, finished our reading for today, then met up for some Mexican food at Chipolte. After that, we chilled at her place, and she showed me her stack of photos from her childhood through her Teach for America days. I think it's great getting to know people though their pictures... their picture albums are essentially a record of their life. I asked her a million questions about who's who, where was what, and everything else in the pictures. She said she enjoys showing them to people, but most people just flip. It was fun having someone like her who likes telling stories through pictures share them with someone like me who really enjoys seeing and hearing the story.

So today was the first day of class. It wasn't bad. In the morning was Legal Writing, which is just as boring as it sounds. But the professor seems nice. Later was Legal Methods, also a little mundane. The prof is this nerdy little man with a very nasal voice. I realized half way through class that he has a southern accent. I'm pretty convinced he was a New York Jew who transplanted down to Atlanta about 20 somewhat years ago and picked up a bit of the accent. Decent teacher nonetheless.

Now that I have tons of reading to do, I'll try blogging as often as possible, but no promises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home