Zahir's Convoluted Little World

Friday, October 07, 2005

Time

Time is flying very quickly. I can't believe it's Friday. My parents were in town last weekend, which was a badly needed break from the torture that is my life here in Atlanta. My parents were in Florida for a few days before with some of their good friends, and came by Atlanta to spend some time with me before going home.

One of my dad's closest friends is a guy I call Abdul Uncle, who lives here in Atlanta. Uncle in the Indian sense. Any Indian knows this cultural trend, with any adults of your parents age, regardless of blood relation, is referred to as 'Uncle' or 'Aunty.' It's pretty nice actually. Abdul Uncle and my father have known eachother the vast majority of their lives and have known eachother for probably more than 50 years. It was Abdul Uncle and his wife who my parents were with in Florida.

When I was home last, I came across a great picture of the two of them at my parent's wedding in the mid 1970's:


This is the two of them when they were in Florida last week.


I absolutly love seeing pictures of people from two very differnet times. Even when I'm at home, I think it's hilarious to look at old family photos and realize how much people change, both physically and socially over the years. The problem is that it's a gradual change that can only be noticed when you look at old pictures.

The idea for the movie "Back to the Future" was thought up when Robert Zemeckis was in his attic looking at some of his father's old stuff. He came across his dad's old Highschool Yearbook and was amused by his dad's photo in there. He started wondering what his fater was like as a younger man, and was intrigued about the thought of being able to meet his father as a young man. Thus, the idea for the movie was born and became what it did.

I always wondered what it would be like to know your parents when they were young. What kind of people they were, what similarities exist between them in their youth and you today, and between them in their youth and them today.

I'm even more curious to see what things will be like 20 or 30 years from now, probably having children of my own, with them wondering what I was like when I was younger, and quite honestly, me not wanting to tell them anything.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home