Zahir's Convoluted Little World

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Stephen King really sucks

So for the past few weeks, I've been seeing ads for "Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King." Supposedly an epic miniseries event with some big name actors and freaky stories. Last night, I was flipping channels and came across this series. The verdict; it really sucks, isn't scarry, drags on too long, and in general, is just a big waste of time.

I caught bits and pieces of an episode Nightmares and Dreamscapes involving some guy being attacked by toy soldiers and fighting them off. Cross between the children's movie and Jay Mohr pile of dung film called "Small Soldiers," and an episode of the Twilight Zone. Stupid and pointless, with a miniature nuclear bomb going off at the end. Fails to scare or even unnearve.

The second episode was truly an hour of my life that I could have better spent staring at my forearms. It was titled "Crouch End," about a newly married couple honeymooning in London, to be invited to one of the husband's associate's house for dinner. But the place they're supposed to go is in a bit of a shady neighborhood, with crossings between dimensions or some crap like that. Completely idiotic. Worse yet, the acting and character development was horrible, with the characters way too cliche and predictable. The plot also reaked of crappiness. Overall, I came to the conclusion that as a horror writer, Stephen King, despite his reputation, completely and utterly sucks. His one saving grace is the fact that he wrote the short story "The Shawshank Redemption," which was turned into a movie I really liked.

I'm a fan of horror movies and shows. The problem is that today, very few movies are truly scarry. Most of them try to be gory, or rely too much on building up tension only to disappoint at the climax. (Which is why I think M. Night Shaymalan also sucks royally. Sorry if you liked the Sixth Sense, I thought it blew). Stephen King's movies fail to scare.

Although I did like the Stanley Kubrick version of the Shining, from what I hear, it's very different from King's original version. During the filming, King reportedly walked off the set. They made a tv miniseries version of the Shining, more true to the book some years back, which I can easily say, sucked completely.

I remember when I was young, I enjoyed some horror movies. One of the few that truly scared me was "Candyman." The rest were just crappy gorefests. I'm hoping one day hollywood will produce a good horror director or writer, because honestly, the only scarry thing coming out of hollywood right now is the idea that M. Night Shay-whateverhisnameis-man and Stephen King are actually quality movie makers.

1 Comments:

  • read Bag of Bones or Dolores whatever. you will rethink your criticism. He's a great storyteller. even if he's a bad writer, his stories are great.

    By Blogger dailyplanet, at 7/17/2006 2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home