Zahir's Convoluted Little World

Monday, July 25, 2005

The Home-stretch

I can't believe it's toward the end of July already. This summer has definitely whizzed by. It was definitely a well needed break from the torture of the first year of law school. I have to say, the past scholastic year had definitely included some of the worst, and some of the best, moments of my life. This summer was a certain counterbalance and stabilizer to the past year.

Work has been getting more mundane as of late. For the past two weeks or so, my boss gave me a big research assignment to do for a mediation coming up. It's a case involving breach of contract, some intellectual property, that sort of fun stuff. It made me realize more than anything that there's no way in hell I ever want to be a litigator. It's odd, this past year, I thought Civil Procedure was fascinating. The court system, the rules, all are chess pieces that you use to win your case. But in reality, it's a dirty and destructive game. You honestly have to be a real bastard to be a good litigator.

Earlier today, my boss had me in his office, I mentioned some of the career fairs coming up in the next few weeks for which I'm taking time off. One interview I have coming up is with a litigation practice. He openly and bluntly said to me that I should stay away from litigation because I don't have the personality for it. He's right. He didn't mean it in an insulting way, because he openly and bluntly followed up with the comment that I'm definitely cut out to be a transactional lawyer. He said that's where my skills are most prone and where I'd be most successful. I hope he's right. He also gave me a lot of warnings about joining the real estate field, as it's about to crash for the next 7-20 years. He also warned me to take 'terrorism' concerns into hand if I'm planning on practicing in NY, LA, or DC. Gotta love omnibus warnings along those lines.

I'm going home this weekend for Yon and Sarah's wedding. They're the first of my friends to be getting married, and quite honestly, I'm really excited for them. OVer the past few years, ever since Yon's met Sarah, a better side of him has definitely come out. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see him as much, but it's a worthwile price considering he's finally happy. So wedding season has officially begun, with at least 4 other friends of mine on deck to tie the noose.

I can't imagine being married at this point in my life. Mainly because I feel like my life hasn't settled down as of yet. I'm still in school, I have no idea where my career path will take me. I have no idea of the risks that lie ahead. I have no idea what I'll be like a few years down the line, or where I'll be in the years ahead. I don't want to be one of those early to marry early to divorce type of folks. But nor do I want to become an aging hipster trying to pick up 18 year olds either.

Last month, I had a meeting with the officers and alumni of a Legal Fraternity that some classmates and I are taking over at Emory next year. One of these alum is a practicing attorney who recently had a child. He was joking around about marriage, that when folks first marry, they have all sorts of cutsie nicknames for one another like 'schmoopy' and 'honey' and whatever. He said that a litte down the line, the nicknames become 'dream-killer' and 'ball-breaker.' On Law and Order, there was one episode of a murder taking place amongst a same-sex couple fighting over an adoption and subsequent separation. The final send off dealt with an ADA saying, "I think they should be allowed to marry... why should they not be miserable like the rest of us?"

Why such anger and hate? Why are people so fundamentally annoyed at the concept of long term commitment? As a male, I understand the desire not to commit, but I also know the other side of the fence isn't so nice either. Life is weird. People are weird. Makes you wonder whether the traditional Indian system of arranged marriage is all that bad. They figure that left to make the decision on your own, you'll wind up miserable anyway, so why not make it easier and just appoint your dream killer?

But there is hope. The institution has survived for thousands of years. There must be an upside to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home