Zahir's Convoluted Little World

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Mormons and Sushi

Today was my first day of being officially unemployed. Had to wake up around 10 to run errands, then wound up heading to the city to hang around with a few folks. Jonas and I wanted to tour a few ships during this fleet week, but the uppity security made lines to get on ships insanely long, so we opted out. We met up with Micky and some of his friends for sushi.

After a good and spicy few rolls, we parted ways. Jonas and I walked by the Mormon temple up on Columbus in the 60's, and it was open to the public for tours. When else in my life will I ever get to see a Mormon temple without accepting Jesus Christ as my lord and savior? The guide said the tour was formal, so Jonas decided to opt out. The irony was not lost on either of us, that a Jewish kid from Wisconsin and an Ismaili Muslim from Long Island were standing in the NYC Mormon Temple.

The tour guide was an Asian dude who spoke very quietly and with a heavy accent. That wiped out my first stereotype about the Mormons (that they were all white). So after having to sit through a 15 minute video about the history of Mormons and Mormon Temples, we had to slip these plastic booties over our shoes (they said it was just to protect the carpeting, but I don't know if that's the whole reason though). We toured the Temple, and I have to say that it is an extremely remarkable structure. The first thing we saw is the baptismal Font, which has three huge statues of Oxen on each side (representing the 12 tribes of Israel). I thought it looked like a jacuzzi without the jets. I admit I did picture myself relaxing in the pool, preferably with a cold drink in my hand (I don't think the Mormons would appreciate that thought though).

But the rooms of the Temple are beautifully decorated and designed. Most have fresh flowers and very pleasant lighting. The Temple has carvings of beehives all over the place, which is supposed to symbolize the work and commitment that goes into their community. But what really struck me is that they didn't have a big central congregation hall. It was more like a series of smaller rooms, all beautifully decorated. The guide kept saying it was designed to feel the presence of God and all that, and I could definitely see what he was talking about. But I didn't feel holy in that place. It reminded me more of a very beautiful wedding chapel (which I guess is intentional, since marriage is a huge part of their faith), very earthly and paradisical, but not spiritual. But I could definitely see how others could feel peaceful and spiritual in that place. Kudos to the Mormons.

In the end, they gave us free cookies! In the end, it was apparent that the Mormons are an extremely wealthy community who like to reinvest their wealth into their Temples and communities. That's absolutely amazing that they do that and keep humble about it. All the Mormons I met there were very enthusiastic about their faith, but extremely nice people. Got a lot of polite smiles and greetings. They're a good group, all the best to them. I'm pretty happy being an Ismaili though, so no plans of conversion... But I do see no problem in learning and appreciating others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home